w i t h c h r i s t i n
“I would rather smell than switch to natural deo- it just doesn’t work for me” – I’ve uttered this at least a dozen times in my life. Many of us want to avoid the aluminum and preservatives that come with most traditional antiperspirants (these ingredients have been associated with diseases like breast cancer and Alzheimer’s.
Whatever your motivation, I understand wanting to recognize ingredients in your skincare products. The problem with natural deodorant, however, is that the process of converting to it can get, well, stanky. Take it from me: After about a day of switching to natural deodorant (aka a day of smelling like my brothers coming off the football field), I decided it didn’t agree with me and switched back.
But according to skincare experts, natural deodorant agrees with everyone—you just have to let your body detox from the other stuff first. So, I started to listen and used my beautycounter skincare in the process.
Yes, it’s true: In order to successfully become a natural deodorant user, you have to go through a “mainstream deodorant detox”—and it’s not as painful as it sounds you just have to see it through.
When I first began educating myself on non-toxic beauty through Beautycounter, I learned about the importance of natural deodorants. Detoxing and using a natural deodorant was one of the first steps in cleaning up my routine.
A natural deodorant is an easy swap to make, but many people are quick to decide that natural D.O.’s don’t work before giving their body a chance to detox- this happened to me more than once. As with any new skincare routine, it takes your body time to adjust. There’s a way to help speed up that transition period though… Introducing: Christin’s Armpit Detox. What a beautiful thing- lol
Breaking up with “Bad Pitt”
First things first, detox that pit.
The skin in your armpit is super permeable, and what you put on it soaks right into your skin and into your bloodstream. Conventional deodorants filled with harmful chemicals clog up your pores and prevent your body from natural detoxing, a.k.a sweating.
Since middle school, we’ve been taught sweating is bad and just plain smelly, but releasing toxins is something our body has to do, it’s healthy and natural! Years of using pore-clogging deodorant changes your body’s bacteria and will require a detox and a switch to a more natural solution.
First, consider detoxing your armpits naturally and know it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to your new clean formula – After much research I came up with my own beautycounter transition/deo detox
- Exfoliating: Your armpits need the same kind of love you give the rest of your body. You can use the beautycounter charcoal cleansing bar paired with a dry brush to help drain lymph nodes. Be gentle as you brush the outer armpit in a sweeping motion down towards the heart.
- Masking: you can use beautycounter charcoal mask and put it on your armpits for 15 minutes. You can repeat this weekly or biweekly for a month while your body is transitioning. This helps release toxins in a way that just plain soap in the shower can’t do. Mask your face and your armpits at the same time for the ultimate cleanse.
- Cleansing: You might already use a natural toner on your face, but consider one for your armpits as well. Try using the Countermatch Hydra-Gel Radiance Toner and apply with a cotton ball or pad. If you do not have this or don’t want to order – try apple cider vinegar or witch hazel. This will not only get rid of bacteria in a natural way but neutralize odor before applying deodorant. The countermatch toner removes residual impurities leaving your pores hydrated.
t i p s t o h e l p d u r i n g d e t o x
- Eliminate odor-causing bacteria in the shower with a charcoal bar to cleanse the impurities. Sweat + bacteria = odor. If you remove the extra bacteria that your body temporarily develops during the detox, it will significantly improve issues with feeling stinky.
- Carry a deo with you on the go to freshen up throughout the day while you detox.
- Take a hot bath to help open your pores and encourage sweating to help to flush out toxins.
- Apply a natural starch powder, such as mixing a little baking soda + cornstarch, to the underarms after applying your deodorant. The starch will help absorb some of the excess moisture you may experience as your body flushes out all of the toxins trapped inside.
Today is 5.5 years in the making of Beautycounter coming out with clean deo because they wanted to get it right. It’s amazing to learn about the minds, practices, and intricate detail that they put into this one product to launch for you TODAY!!
Traditional antiperspirants work to control and prevent sweat, using ingredients like aluminum, which can plug sweat ducts and prevent the body’s natural detox process. But our bodies need to sweat—it’s part of our detoxification process, helping to remove heavy metals from the body. Deodorants (like our new Clean Deo), on the other hand, help to absorb sweat while fighting odors caused by toxins to keep you feeling fresh.
Have you switched to natural deodorant already or have tried to? What was your detox experience like? I want to know + would also love to help if you need it! Please leave your comments below.
Please, just please promise me you wont let 2021 stink.
Need me to order for you? Easy – just message me here + tell me what you need.