Have you seen the spicy vodka pasta that Gigi Hadid made viral during quarantine? Well, ever since quarantine, my sister in law, Devan and I have been sharing recipes and upping our cooking game. She sent this recipe to me and since pasta is a meal I could eat just about every meal of my life — we tried it and even put our own spin on it — making it pretty dang perfect if you ask me.
Don’t worry – we made dairy free tweaks at the end and its still delish!
H e r e i s o u r v e r s i o n
c h e e r s + e n j o y
Step 1: Sauté Onion and Garlic in Olive Oil or avocado oil in large skillet
Heat 1/4 cup olive oil/avocado oil
Add a small clove of garlic, diced, (Gigi uses 1/4 of a shallot – we left this out) Cook till soft
Step 2: Add Tomato Paste 1/4 cup + Cherry Grape Tomatoes
Cook the sauce until it’s darker and a bit caramelized.
Cook cherry tomatoes until you can break them open with a wooden spoon so that they mix in the sauce crushed.
Step 3: Add Vodka, Heavy Cream, Chili Flakes, and spinach
Add 1 tablespoon vodka and cook until it almost evaporates. (You can also skip the vodka altogether if you prefer.) Add 1/2 cup heavy cream. Add 1 teaspoon chili flakes — or more if you like it hotter. Add leaf spinach for a healthy twist.
Step 4: Season With Salt and Pepper and Cook Pasta
- Keep stirring until the sauce is combined.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Cook your pasta
- When the pasta is cooked, save 1/4 cup pasta water before draining.
- Note: I recommend reserving an additional 1/4 cup pasta water, just in case you need it in the next step.
Step 5: Add Cooked Pasta, Pasta Water, and Butter to Pan
Add the cooked pasta, the 1/4 cup reserved pasta water, and 1 tablespoon butter.
Stir over medium heat till the butter has melted and the sauce is “sauccyyyyy.”
Step 6: Add Parmesan Cheese
Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and stir.
Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Note: if your sauce is too thick or simply not saucy enough, slowly add the additional pasta water you put aside earlier until it reaches your desired consistency.
Step 7: Serve Topped With Parmesan Cheese and Chopped Basil
Sister D a i r y F r e e T w e a k s
- use coconut cream instead of heavy whipping cream
- leave parmesan cheese out
- leave out butter or use dairy free smart balance butter – works great!
- Add spinach, cherry tomatoes and/or mushrooms for veggies
- Add chicken for protein – grill with garlic and onions and add to sauce
Leave a Reply